Ladies, kiss razor burn, unwanted hair and cuts goodbye with these 7 simple tips that will help you get a smooth, close shave every time.
The best shaving tips for women with sensitive skin
- Get yourself a sharp razor. Do NOT borrow one. Faces are more sensitive than legs, and shaving your legs can dull a razor enough to make your resident face-shaver pretty unhappy if you leave it for him.
- Exfoliate. The smoother your skin is when you shave it, the better your shave will be. Scrub off the dead skin and ingrown hairs. If you wait until the end of your shower, your skin will absorb more moisture and the dead skin will slough off more easily.
- Always shave with warm water. Shaving with cold water can give you goose bumps, which gives you an uneven surface to shave and makes cuts and razor burns more likely.
- Use Ultimate Comfort Shave Cream (the best shaving cream for sensitive skin). You don’t need it to be an inch thick, but make sure you get good coverage – this is your first line of defense for sensitive skin against cuts and razor burn. After you apply the shave cream, wait a few more minutes; this will help numb the skin slightly and soften the hair making it easier to remove.
- Place the razor flat against your leg and slide it gently in the opposite direction of your hair growth. Don’t go too fast or twist the razor quickly, as this can cause nicks and cuts. Be especially careful around knees and ankles – the angles make them difficult to shave without cutting them.
- Pat your legs dry and moisturize. Apply good, rich lotion to trap in moisture, prevent flaking and minimize irritation. Shaving removes dead skin cells; although that is a natural and healthy process, it is one that can make your skin extra sensitive, so you should apply body oil or a soothing moisturizer on your skin after shaving to achieve the smoothest and softest skin possible!
- Take care of any cuts immediately with antibiotic ointment to prevent infection.
Smooth legs are nice, but irritated or cut legs aren’t, so be careful and take your time.